Re: replacing a function with another one

From: lee
Subject: Re: replacing a function with another one
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:42:31 +0100

>> Considering all that, wouldn´t it be much better to create my own mode?
>
> Another good approach is to take hi-lock.el, modify it (as little as
> possible) to provide the feature you want, and then to submit the patch
> for inclusion in a future Emacs.

I´d love to do that, and I think it could be done.  I´d mostly have to
add some things to it and probably wouldn´t need to modify what´s
already there.

How would I do that?  hi-lock.el is part of emacs, which is in a bzr
repo from which I update every now and then.  I could take the current
version of hi-lock.el and put it into a git repo to work on it.  In the
meantime, the original version may change.  Then what?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.