Re: emacs slow on dired renaming

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs slow on dired renaming
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 17:02:49 +0300

> From: Robert Marshall <spam@capuchin.co.uk>
> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 14:17:51 +0100
>
> At the moment it's still under 2 sec for each file.

When you start a new session, does the command run as fast as in
"emacs -Q", or is it already significantly slower?  If the latter, it
might be better to bisect your .emacs until you find the part that
causes the slowdown.

> I've manually loaded
> dired and dired-aux and now get the report which follows. The culprit
> appears to be dired-in-this-tree (or the number of times its called as
> its rather short) - at the moment I have 42 dired buffers open (and
> dired-buffers confirms this) of which only 1 or 2 have subdirectories
> also open within the buffer.
>
> I've opened a couple more dired buffers since starting but most of them were
> open from the beginning (via desktop) and then there was no slowdown.

I see nothing of interest in the profile.

Does this happen with renaming any file/directory, or only with files
on some specific filesystems?  Are those filesystems local ore remote
(NFS, Samba, etc.)?

If you try renaming a single file with "M-x rename-file RET", does it
also take 2 sec?