Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:03:07 +0200

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Angus,

> I would really like to get this to work.

Me too :-)

> I am wondering if I need to set a default username in putty? I have
> seen notes on Pageant??? Maybe I need to configure or do something
> with that.

Not needed. All information could be in the file name.

> I am also on a fairly old version of emacs, 23.3.1, so I can try the
> latest version. I did try that too, and for some reason it looked like
> default was to use FTP because I always so a message indicating FTP
> was being used.

That's strange, yes. But if you set the method in the file name, it
shouldn't matter what's the default.

> And I am running Windows which probably doesn't help either, Windows
> 7. Can't do anything about that though.

Well, personally I don't use MS Windows. But there are people using
Tramp on this, so it shall be possible :-)

> Any suggestions as good places to start would be greatly appreciated.

First try to use a full remote path name, as proposed already. Since you
are using PuTTY, the path name might be
"/plink:acomber@uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt"

What happens, if you open a file like this (without the double quotes,
of course)?

> Angus

Best regards, Michael.