Re: prevent function execution on Emacs startup if not connected to inte

From: Brady Trainor
Subject: Re: prevent function execution on Emacs startup if not connected to internet
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:22:10 -0700

On 4/18/2014 5:13 AM, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

   (ignore-errors (package-refresh-contents)))

     (ignore-errors (package-install pkg))))

So I was able to recreate my issue. Your method worked at these functions, but then the issue propagates to `require's for packages not installed. (Every once in a while I switch OS', and simultaneously am sitting down somewhere without an internet connection.)

I imagine putting `ignore-errors' at every `require' would be bad form.

Maybe I can start up Emacs with an option to ignore errors? "In pseudocode",

    emacs --ignore-errors

Or even better, maybe I can have in my init file, a line to check for a connection, and if there is none, prompt me to allow a global `ignore-errors'. Or no prompt, but give a message that it occurred.

Brady

PS

Thank you for the code improvement, I did not notice it the first time,

(when (notevery (lambda (pkg (or (package-installed-p pkg)
                              (assoc pkg package-archive-contents))))
                pkgs-2b-present)
  (ignore-errors (package-refresh-contents)))