Re: tutorial for rmail and IMAP

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: tutorial for rmail and IMAP
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:48:30 +0100

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:
> Yes, Gmail usernames have the @ symbol, so I would greatly appreciate your
> workaround.

First try things as they are and see if it works.  There maybe something
wrong with my setup that causes the workaround to be needed.

If you need it this is what I did....  First specify your username using
%40 instead of @.
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
("imap://username%40yourserver.com@yourimapserver.com"))

Secondly, fish the function rmail-insert-inbox-text out of rmail.el and
put it in a separate .el file.  Then after the bit:

      ;; At this point, TOFILE contains the name to read:
      ;; Either the alternate name (if we renamed)
      ;; or the actual inbox (if not renaming).

I added:
      (with-temp-buffer
        (insert tofile)
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (replace-string "%40" "@")
        (setq tofile (buffer-string)))

I require rmail in my .emacs file and load the .el file containing the
modified version of rmail-insert-inbox-text.  You could modify Emacs
directly, I don't like doing that though.

> I'd really like to avoid putting passwords in plain text files, especially
> emacs configuration. Can I set up rmail to prompt me for the password when
> I first open the mode?

If you omit ":password" in rmail-primary-inbox-list then rmail will ask
you for it every time you start it.  It stores the password for the
session AFAIK.

BR,
Robert Thorpe