Re: tutorial for rmail and IMAP

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: tutorial for rmail and IMAP
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 01:50:07 +0100

Earlier this week Sam Halliday was trying to access his gmail account
using movemail.  He couldn't do it and I couldn't access mine when I
tried it.  I got some advice off-list from Herbert Skuhra and tried it
out today.  It worked.  Oddly enough a command I tried out earlier that
failed started to work.

I can download my gmail email with:
movemail -p 'imaps://MyEmail%40gmail.com@imap.gmail.com' gmail.mbox
mypassword

As Herbert Skuhra told me "imaps" must be used instead of "imap" to
activate SSL.  %40 replaces the @ in the username.  The password can be
on the command line, if it isn't then movemail asks for it.  The "-p"
preserves the source inbox, making it a copy rather than a move - it's
not needed if you want a move.

I think the problem here was that gmail takes some time to enable IMAP.
Perhaps when you click on "Enable IMAP" in the settings it only takes
effect a few hours later or the next day.  That's the best explanation I
can come up with anyway.

BR,
Robert Thorpe