Re: Semantic completion of C++ class members

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Semantic completion of C++ class members
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 02:44:44 +0200

> Jacob Gerlach <jacobgerlach@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> My understanding of semantic mode is that it should
>> offer completions based on class definitions.
>
> What does "semantic" mean in this context?

Please reader to CEDET documentaton.

>> For example, given
>>
>> MyClass A;
>>
>> A.-|-
>
> "-|-"?
>
>> Alternatively, I have not tried to use anything like
>> CEDET, so if a better solution is "just use CEDET"
>> (or whatever else), I'm open to anything.
>
> Really? :) In that case, let me offer the same piece of
> advice I always do in these matters.
>
> 1. If you cannot do it already, then learn to type -

Typing quickly has nothing to do with context based completion of class
variables and functions.

> preferable as fast as you can think. (When you get
> close, those two activities will merge more or less.)
>
> 2. Always make an effort to use short names for
> everything, names that are descriptive and easy to
> spell (and type). Doing this over and over, it'll be
> second nature and you can even relax your memory a bit
> - just "name" the thing again, and the same thing will
> pop up (that won't work every time, but often enough).

I'm intrigued to hear what you think any of that has to do with CEDET
completion? C++ classes are frequently massive and complex and trying to
code or maintain any form of large library based code base without this
sort of semantic help/completion borders on crazy these days.

--
Sent using Emacs/Gnus from home ...