Re: RTF for emacs

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: RTF for emacs
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 08:56:42 +0100

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

>> Really, what *is* the use-case for "RTF"?
>
> What about writing a letter to your bank?  Or writing a short technical
> document that has to include diagrams?  Plain text can't really do these
> things.  Latex can do these things, but it's complicated.  Whenever I
> need to use Latex I have to look at lots of examples from the internet
> or the last time I used it.  Since I never write large reports using
> Latex it's syntax never sticks in my head.
>
> I use a word processor for these kind of things a present, Libreoffice.  I'd
> rather not do that though, it's clumsy.  If I had the time I'd help with
> adding RTF editing and/or word-processing to Emacs.

Hi Robert,

If you are capable of helping to add RTF editing to emacs then you are
surely capable of handling LaTeX :-)  However I'm not clear from your
post how deeply you are into the Emacs world. Do you, for example, know
about Auctex, the LaTeX-writing mode for Emacs?

My own experience is that learning Emacs and LaTeX is a life-work in
itself, on top of  the need to actually make a living, raise kids etc
etc!  T.E.A., the Tweaking Emacs Addiction, has been the ruin of many.

The answer is to create templates, especially for LaTeX - then just
insert as needed.

1. Letters

There is a good tutorial for producing a letter here:

http://www.kindoblue.nl/articles/cover-letter-part1/

Look here for lot of templates

http://www.latextemplates.com/

2. Tech reports with diagrams.

LaTeX can produce amazing diagrams but it is, as you said, complicated. I
tend to produce graphics/diagrams elsewhere and then import 'em.  There
are some good tutorials here

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/

3. Org mode

Is fantastic and I use it all day and every day. My view would be that if
you want to use it for exporting  LaTeX, you need to have some
understanding of how LaTeX works in order to produce the org templates
you need.

> Something I'm considering is using info format. The info makeup is very
> simple (for the GNU manuals it's compiled from sources in a TeX dialect
> called TeXInfo, but it can be written directly). Another possibility is
> using HTML.

Seems like re-inventing the wheel!   The time might be better invested in
getting a grip on LaTeX.  The template thing has been the key for me.

Good luck!

Glyn