Re: emacs and beginning of lines

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: emacs and beginning of lines
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 20:35:57 +0200

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> M-m should work better I think, thanks.

M-m is the default for `back-to-indentation', yes, but
it makes sense to DWIM-merge that with C-a as to me
intuitively it is the same.

I just now wrote a post on this issue (sort of) in
another thread - check they out, otherwise I'll just
offer you the source to try:

(defun back-to-dwim ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((point (point)))
    (back-to-indentation)
    (if (= point (point))
        (move-beginning-of-line nil) ))) ; ARG (nil = this line)

Yes, Python is one of the very few programming
languages that has compulsory indentation so I imagine
you would want really good support for that.

I'm a bit split on that issue. On the one hand, I
always indent my code pedantically. It is the first
thing I do if I ever get to continue work on some other
guy's code. Then, it is also a matter of learning what
is going on by making it look good. That works in the
bicycle repair shop as well. But the looks are as
important in themselves. ("May I indent your code?" is
an insult, perhaps the worst.)

On the other hand, I don't like the Python compulsory
approach and I would never stand for it either in C or
Lisp.

It is like a puzzle. You want a puzzle to be difficult
but you still don't want a puzzle with uniformly formed
pieces and the picture being a vast field with all-but
identical red and green flowers. It is good to de a
pedant in programming but you don't have to be pedantic
about it :)

--
underground experts united