Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 03:17:48 +0100

Raffaele Ricciardi <rfflrccrd@gmail.com> writes:

> The problem is that old Emacs pros don't explain the
> Emacs work-flow to novices and therefore novices are
> left to "connect the dots" on their own. When
> novices fail to connect some dots, they resort to
> configure Emacs to achieve some goals in a way that
> they know.

Good point.

> Moreover, in my experience, vanilla Emacs lacks many
> convenient commands (or at least some efficient key
> bindings for available convenient commands) and some
> standard commands feel counterintuitive. I
> understand that this is for historical reasons, and
> I am not complaining about it, but nonetheless this
> is the way it is. Hence the need to spend much time
> configuring Emacs.

Right. It can be very educational to tinker with
software day in, day out, but not the whole day,
little by little. Because lots of software is
basically the same, if you understand one piece of
software, not 100% like memorizing everything, rather
the broad lines, then that understanding will be like
a window so you can understand other software as well.

That's the intellectual side to it. The emotional, or
perhaps "enjoyment" side to it is to have a system you
really like and are familiar with.

Like your post, and mine. I enjoyed reading yours and
I enjoyed writing mine. But with Outlook and Windows,
I would never do either. So the emotional side, having
it look and behave a way that is going with the flow
of your brain-waves and - I don't know - muscle-memory
and all - that should never be underestimated.

--
underground experts united