RE: How to quit?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to quit?
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:21:56 -0800 (PST)

> OK, so I have a problem, and it doesn't show up when I do emacs -Q.  So
> I take a deep breath and bisect my 900-line init.el...
>
> In LaTeX, however, when I have some weird problem, I can put \endinput
> in a file, and everything past that is ignored.  Is there anything like
> that in Elisp?
>
> It just occured to me that (debug) /might/ work, and so might
> (keyboard-quit).  Is this a good idea?  Are there any others?

Just put `(top-level)' in your init file where you want it to stop.
Command `top-level' returns to, well, Emacs top-level. ;-)

But really you will find, I think, that commenting-out blocks of the
file is the handiest.  I bind `C-x C-;' to `comment-region', which
comments or (with `C-u') uncomments the region, and which nests and
unnests such commented blocks (unlike `comment-dwim').

Actually, I bind `C-x C-;' to this command, from `misc-cmds.el'
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/misc-cmds.el).

(defun comment-region-lines (beg end &optional arg)
  "Like `comment-region' (which see), but comment/uncomment whole lines."
  (interactive "*r\nP")
  (if (> beg end) (let (mid) (setq mid beg beg end end mid)))
  (let ((bol  (save-excursion (goto-char beg) (line-beginning-position)))
        (eol  (save-excursion (goto-char end)
                              (if (bolp) (point) (line-end-position)))))
    (comment-region bol eol arg)))