Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question now Unicode

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question now Unicode
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:02:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 9:16:21 PM UTC+5:30, Dan Espen wrote:
> Rusi  writes:

> >> I can't type it, I sure don't want to see it in source code.
> >
> > Strange to see that comment on an emacs-list!
>
> I've been using Emacs since the 70s.
>
> > I guess the same comment would have been made 50 years ago when C came out
> > and Fortran/Cobol programmers could not find lower case on card-punch
> > machines
> >
> > [There are things called input-methods in particular tex-input method]¹
> >

> > Yes, unicode has more mis-understandings than understanding (currently)
> > See
> >
> > http://blog.languager.org/2015/02/universal-unicode.html for the plus
> > http://blog.languager.org/2015/03/whimsical-unicode.html for the minus
> >

> > =========
> > ¹ I prefer X-based input methods; eg after
> > $ setxkbmap -layout "us,gr"  -option "grp:caps_toggle,grp_led:caps"
> >
> > the CAPSLOCK becomes a 'greeklock' ie after pressing CAPSLOCK
> > abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
> > produces
> > αβψδεφγηιξκλμνοπ;ρστθωςχυζ
>
> That's pretty neat.
> But I don't know the Greek alphabet and if someone started sprinkling
> Greek in my source code, I'd want a damn good explanation.

Greek was given as an example

> There are thousands of these crazy symbols and around 100 keys on my
> keyboard.  Only a few of those keys have more than 1 label.

1 million+ codepoints
Greater 100,000 in use

> How am I supposed to remember how to type all this stuff?

You are asking a rhetorical question...

If you are asking genuinely:
http://blog.languager.org/2015/01/unicode-and-universe.html
explains what's wrong with sticking to the obsolete penury-of-ASCII

http://blog.languager.org/2015/02/universal-unicode.html
suggests that if mapping a million chars onto a 100-char keyboard looks like
an unpleasant/unsolvable problem, which subsets may be worth considering