Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 03:17:48 +0200

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Take a random computer. Start notepad Take a random
> computer. Start emacs Work out the relative
> probabilities of failure
>
> Sorry... "Random computer" arguments dont work (or
> can be made to work any way you choose)

It does work and that is the reason to have a small
common ground and then put complexity like LaTeX or
whatever at the endpoints so that
techno-techno-neurotics can have their way with it
while actual work is carried out elsewhere with the
tools that are suitable for that purpose.

Think for example of fire fighters. They have a lot of
equipment and protection in their trucks, and some
attached to their bodies.

But as there are so many unique situations and
combinations thereof that can produce a plethora of
immediate problems they must nonetheless tackle in
a short time frame, why don't they have ten times the
amount of equipment? Or one hundred times as much?
The exact right thing for any situation? And not just
things - human resources, as well? Why not?

1) It is *impractical* to the point of being
   totally unrealistic.

2) With training with the basic tools and methods,
   even though the specialized one objectively are
   "better", in reality, the outcome (effect) is still
   much better with the basic toolset.

If the average life of a man was 1500 years and with
mental capabilities to match it perhaps we could
achieve the super-specialization and scientificness
you dream of. Instead, it is about mastering a craft
including the good habits and all conventional wisdom
to it - and there is never enough time, either.

It is the domain which I call: reality.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573