Re: launch a program in an arbitrary frame

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: launch a program in an arbitrary frame
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 10:14:21 +0200

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:

> I often run ERC to connect to IM services via
> a local Bitlbee daemon. It works best running in its
> own frame, so I know when people are talking to me
> without having to flip through all my buffers. (A
> window doesn't seem to be sufficient, since Gnus
> keeps changing the window layout to its
> Summary/Article split, and the only way I've found
> to deal with that is to keep programs whose layout
> I care about in separate frames.)

You sure have to hear a lot before the longears fall
of. A Gnus *and* ERC user?! ... *bows*

OK, Gnus is infamous for messing up the windows all
the time. But because you can prevent it, it is all
forgiven. Actually we are happy, that Gnus made us
better programmers. It is just tough love!

If you want to give the window approach another shot,
it may look like this:

(setq display-buffer-alist
      '(("\\*\\(Help\\|Server\\)\\*" display-buffer-same-window)) )

Here two things happen. The help buffers look like
this: *Help*. The Gnus server buffer, like this:
*Server*. The regexp catches them both. Now they
appear in the same window, which is much more natural.
Go to the window where you want something to happen.
Invoke the command. Done and done.

To try if it works, eval the above Elisp, then go to
Gnus' *Group* buffer. Here, hit whatever key you have
for `gnus-group-enter-server-mode' (perhaps ^; I have
it S for server - mnemonic, you see! I'm smart...).

If other buffers behave the same way (e.g., *Group*)
add them the same way.

Good luck! Keep us updated...

--
underground experts united