Re: using use-package

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:09:11 -0700

> So are you saying that use-package is designed for the case where you don't
> use ELPA? It is the impression I got when I looked at use-package, but it
> seems like an odd position nowadays.

It may be! I don't use ELPA. I have a hand-crafted set of packages that are
all in Git (using git-subtree, to ensure cloning always succeeds), which gives
me an extremely stable environment. It may well be a one-off use pattern, but
it has worked well for me for many years.

> To be more precise, I don't think those problems in packages are
> particularly frequent, so it's perfectly OK to report them in those rare
> remaining cases.

I guess the frequency would require at least a poll to determine.  You and I
may be outliers on the spectrum...

John