Re: Alt Putty

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Alt Putty
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:47:00 -0600

Rusi wrote:
> By which I mean that there must be some putty setting to make Alt behave like
> well like Alt :-).
> google was not much helpful

Works for me.  Using putty.exe and emacs in the standard text console
mode and Alt works like Meta by default.  It does this by prefixing
the key with ESC.  That is Alt-x on the putty.exe keyboard produces
"ESC x" sent over the serial data stream.  This can be easily seen by
typing into 'od -tx1 -c' (finish with C-d eof) and looking at the
data.  Command line applications such as bash and emacs interpret "ESC
x" as M-x and behave appropriately.

I looked over my putty.exe configuration dialog screens but didn't see
an explicit option to enable or disable this.  I know I have not done
anything specific in this regard.  It is a feature I use almost every
time I have ever used putty.exe and I have never needed to configure
it explicitly.  It has always worked by default.

Therefore I conclude that it must be something in your environment
that is *preventing* this from working.  I'd say it works for other
people.  You will need to debug your environment and see why it
doesn't work for you.

Bob