Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 21:04:38 +0100

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> @Stefan, sharing elpa/ between at least emacs 24.5 and emacs 25.x (git
>> master) does not work as the complied .elc files are not compatible between
>> the two versions.
>
> Just jumping in as I have the two version problem.
>
> I am fine with most of my stuff managed by cask, therefore aware of
> versions. But how can I manage org, which is via git? Any smart
> suggestion how I can use this between two versions on one machine?

I use "use-package" and ":ensure" which pulls down everything from ELPA.
So I share my .emacs between machines but not my elpa directory.

In terms of supporting multiple versions of Emacs, I use this....

(setq package-user-dir (concat "~/.emacs.d/elpa/"
                               ;; if we use emacs-version we get a
                               ;; LOT of pre-release directories.
                               (int-to-string emacs-major-version)
                               "."
                               (int-to-string emacs-minor-version)))

With org, not sure what the problem is? You want to run this directly off
a git clone? I wrote "git-update.el" for use with use-package -- you
should just be able to clone org twice.

Phil