Re: How to IRC?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to IRC?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 02:04:29 +0100

Nicolas Richard <nrichard@ulb.ac.be> writes:

> An IRC client can have bugs

No :)

> That being said, I never noticed any such
> disconnection problem with rcirc, which I use.
> Some people on #emacs use ERC with a very impressive
> uptime too, so I doubt rcirc or ERC have this sort
> of bugs.

I doubt that as well. Anyway, look (!) - uptime again!
It is such a useful thing :)

> OTOH, since emacs has only one lisp thread, when
> emacs is doing something, it will most likely stop
> responding to ping requests and, if it emacs is busy
> long enough, this can lead to disconnection.
> A common suggestion (even though I don't follow it)
> is to use a separate emacs session only for IRC.

That might be a good solution with respect to uptime
but not with respect to using Emacs and ERC/IRC to do
useful things. Say that you work on some source and
you want to yank it into the ERC buffer. Or the other
way around.

I'd say in general it is preferrable to do it the
other way around - keep everything including ERC/IRC
in the regular Emacs session, and then, for the rare
occasions when you use Emacs for batch/DP stuff that
might block IRC, put *that* in its own session.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573