Line indents to middle when editing init.el: what the heck is happening?

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Line indents to middle when editing init.el: what the heck is happening?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 06:36:40 -0600

I am in the process of getting a usable Emacs init.el file going after many
years of using XEmacs.

I am using list-packages for package installation and have installed
perl6-mode and friends. I have managed to get Perl 6 indentation
spacing the way I want it, and text buffers behave okay for now (but I will
have question later).

However, when editing init.el and I hit a carriage return, on the new line
the caret jumps to the middle of the window on the same line!

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks.

Best,

-Tom