Re: Gnus question

From: pulsarpietro
Subject: Re: Gnus question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:08:22 +0100

Thanks a lot, I have tried to use your file as my .gnus.el startup file, nothing is working though.

As soon as I start gnus (M-x gnus) I get :

Error in ~/.gnus: Cannot open load file

Any thoughts ?

On 26.01.2016 04:12, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Pietro <pulsarpietro@posteo.net> writes:

I am not sure this is the right place for a question
regarding gnus, if there is a more specific mailing
list for it please point me at that so I can try to
post there.

This is the right place, or one of many right places
because yes, there are Gnus lists/newsgroups.

One can use Gnus and in particular Gmane to find out.
And Gmane is actually the answer to your other
question as well!

You set it up like this:

    (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))

If you need help to get it up and running, check out
this file, and the other files in the same directory
(or ask here again, of course):

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/gnus-my.el

When you get it to work, run
`gnus-group-enter-server-mode' (hit `^' in the group
buffer), then find the Gmane line (should be
"nntp: news.gmane.org" or something similar) and hit
RET. Then make a search for "gnus":

    K     64: gmane.emacs.gnus.announce
    K    787: gmane.emacs.gnus.buildbot
    K   6351: gmane.emacs.gnus.commits
    K  12504: gmane.emacs.gnus.cvs
    K  82890: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
    K     30: gmane.emacs.gnus.patches
    K    262: gmane.emacs.gnus.semi
    K  13531: gmane.emacs.gnus.semi.japanese
    K      1: gmane.emacs.gnus.tutorial
       17939: gmane.emacs.gnus.user

Move point to the desired group and do
`gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group' (key: `u') to
subscribe (yes, the name is confusing).

I am wrestling with GNU to get my email splitting
done, I am actually trying to split the email coming
from the this mailing list address and this is how
my .gnus.el looks like [...]

And this is the whole thing with Gmane - you don't
have to split mails from mailing lists into
pseudo-newsgroups anymore! Gmane does that for you.
So in your group buffer you can have

    6     gmane.comp.shells.zsh.devel              463
    6     gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user                87
    6     gmane.emacs.devel                       2399
    6     gmane.emacs.erc.general
    3     gmane.emacs.gnus.user
    3     gmane.emacs.help                          18
    6     gmane.emacs.sources                       28
    6     gmane.emacs.w3m
    3     gmane.linux.debian.user                    1

and so on but you don't need to deal with any of the
subscription overhead and you don't have to do the
splitting stuff.