Re: Gnus question

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Gnus question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:12:02 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Others suggested gmane, but my experience is that
> posts to gmane.emacs.gnus.user are ignored.
> So you'll better use the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup.

Gmane is more reliable, and more to the point, than
"old Usenet", in my experience. One example is the
tons of inactive and wierd.yada-yada.kamikazee groups
with zero posts that are everywhere on the Usenet
nntp.aioe.org server. You don't have to wade thru them
with Gmane!

OK:

    gmane.emacs.gnus.user

and

    gnu.emacs.gnus

are virtually the same in terms of information (or
should be the same) but in terms of technology
gmane.emacs.gnus.user is
a mailing-list-turn-into-a-newsgroup by means of
Gmane, while gnu.emacs.gnus is a Usenet newsgroup with
a gateway in between to synch with the mailing list!

You get gnu.emacs.gnus from a Usenet server, e.g.
nntp.aioe.org while you get gmane.emacs.gnus.user from
a Gmane server, e.g. news.gmane.org!

I heard they asked Simon Furman once if he prefered
Goldbug or Bumblebee. He said, "I prefer Bumblebee -
as Goldbug!" Do I prefer Usenet or Gmane? I prefer
Usenet - as Gmane!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573