Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?

From: Joakim Jalap
Subject: Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 19:38:14 +0100

> What is pinentry-emacs - this one?
>
>     https://github.com/ecraven/pinentry-emacs

No, pinentry-emacs is a binary which can be built when building pinentry
from source. It's been a long time since I dug into this, but I managaed
to find what I found then :)

If you clone the pinentry repo:

git clone git://git.gupg.org/pinentry.git

And run ./autogen.sh and the ./configure --help

You will see the option --enable-pinentry-emacs. So that's what you
should build with :)

There's also the option --enable-inside-emacs, but I think this will be
set by --enable-pinentry-emacs.

> Do you mean I need to install this to be able to use pinentry.el (which,
> I found out, already comes with Emacs 25)?

Well, I guess. I don't really know, sorry. But I think you need some
program for entering the password, and I guess this is the official way
to do it. But the gnupg maintainers really don't seem to like it, which
is why Arch and FreeBSD don't build it by default I guess.

Hope it helps :)

Joakim