Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 16:02:07 +0900

> Daiki Ueno <ueno@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> pinentry.el is actually in lisp/net/ already.  For the pinentry program,
>> I don't think it is feasible, since there isn't (and won't be) a way to
>> use a custom pinentry program from the gpg command line:
>> https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2015-May/029862.html
>
> Hm...  I don't know much about this stuff, but I'm not sure I
> understand.  :-)  There exists a program already called pinentry-emacs,
> somebody said?  That allows us to enter passwords from Emacs, sort of?

It allows you to enter passwords _only_ from Emacs.  That could be
acceptable for those who do everything in Emacs, but wouldn't for most
others.  For example, suppose one use Emacs for editing and Thunderbird
for mailing.  When he opens an encrypted mail in Thunderbird, he will be
asked passphrase from an Emacs window; I think that would be too
annoying.

Now that the upstream Pinentry has a proper diversion mechanism (Emacs
-> gnome-shell/GTK+/Qt -> curses), I don't see any benefit of
maintaining our own version of the pinentry program which only works
with Emacs.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno