Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 04:11:38 +0100

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>> Many ISP prefer you to use port 587 for outgoing
>> emails rather than port 25, which was the
>> traditional port. That's why I used "587" above in
>> .authinfo and smtpmail-smtp-service. If your ISP is
>> a traditionalist and prefers 25 then replace those
>> numbers with 25.
>
> And then there's Verizon which uses 465.

... why do they do that?

Anyway, here, allow me to hit the big drum for the
favorite theme "code as an interface". As you see
below, changing port or any of the servers or just
about anything is super easy and done in one spot and
stop. Then evaluate and all set.

I mentioned I do Gnus, but depending on how
generalized the settings are chances are most (or
some) will be put to work by the other Emacs mail
clients as well, and actually seemingly unrelated
Emacs components as well. Why not? They are there.

Some people say Emacs is inconsistent. But not
entirely so! :)

(let*((username      "embe8573")
      (mail-name     username)
      (domain        "uu.se")
      (local-domain  (format "student.%s" domain))
      (pop-server    (format     "pop.%s" domain))
      (smtp-server   (format    "smtp.%s" domain))
      (smtp-port     25) )
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain local-domain)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-service smtp-port)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server  smtp-server)
  (setq user-full-name "Emanuel Berg")
  (setq user-mail-address (format "%s@%s" mail-name local-domain))
  (setq mail-sources `((pop :server    ,pop-server
                            :user      ,username
                            :password  ,*mail-password*) )))

PS. Observe the secret password which is not hidden
    but actually a *global-variable*. This allows you
    never to enter the password which sure is
    a relief, especially if you are used to that from
    the autologin of the ttys. But actually I might as
    well put it there in cleartext as you already read
    all my mails :))

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573