Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 00:47:38 +0100

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the quick response.

Hint: use citing (quoting) just like we do and it'll
be even faster and more pleasant to answer your posts.
And this will be even easier for you if you get Rmail
or Gnus working, tho what I remember even Hotmail in
the 90s did that...

> Is wondering if it was strictly necessary to enter
> my password inside my code, wouldn't it be a major
> security issue?

*Laughter*

No, that is entirely optional!

I disabled the login password to my computer many
years ago and a couple of years later did the same
with Internet and mail login.

I actually don't know how big a security issue it is.
Certainly if the computer gets stolen, but if that
happens, it would be such a waste if the thief wasn't
able to use all my awesome tools :)

As for the mails, I already have them on the disk so
with the login password disabled I don't see the mail
ditto doing much good save for perhaps the thief being
able to spoof my accounts.

But this is all with the assumption the computer gets
stolen physically by a computer literate thief.
This is so unlikely I don't worry one bit.

>From a "remote" point of view, it would be interesting
to know how much an issue it is and how it could be
exploited. Does it matter that much if you enter the
data from your fingertips or if a program does it
for you?

One way of not having to have it in text is to have
a function that calculates it each time. It would be
virtually the same only one more obstacle.

> I also have a problem with my init file, as emacs
> can't detect it. I have created one at
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el, but this folder is protected
> (only accessible via su), which forces me to use
> emacs under sudo. Is there any way to solve
> these problems?

It shouldn't be like that. How did you install Emacs?
What Unix/Linux distro are you on? Reinstallation is
an option.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573