Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 23:43:43 +0100

On Sun, June 26, 2016 10:34 pm, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Okay, so, I think you need to start from the beginning. A short while
>> back, I got the impression that build was crashing during bootstrap,
>> i.e. it was a core dump from temacs. This has nothing to do with emacs'
>> tests, which IIRC are not distributed with emacs source.
>>
>> So, the problem is not "Build Emacs without Lisp" but "Emacs build
>> fails on Debian chroot S390x"?
>>
>> If this is the case, then I think you have either a bug or an
>> unsupported platform. Probably the next best step is to submit a bug
>> report.
>
> I understand it may be unsupported, but that's not very helpful to me.

Yes, it is. If it unsupported, then perhaps it can be made so, and in the
meantime, you know you that know that you are wasting your time.

> I'm trying to find something that works so I can get on with my task at
> hand :)

You still haven't really said what that task is. If you need Emacs and
only emacs, then you or someone has to fix the build. If you need a
general purpose text editor, then try another one that does support your
platform. GNU ed will probably run an it has a much simpler build.

If you need to open some files, replace some stuff and save it, then perl
will probably do better still.

If you want to fix the build, then, I would say that a bug report is a
reasonable place to start.

Phil