Re: can't access info dir in emacs under msys2

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: can't access info dir in emacs under msys2
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 15:15:37 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> The problem is the absence of the info directory node. I need to
>> investigate why it is not installed.
>
> Ah, that could explain everything.  However, the OP did say that he
> can access the 2 main Emacs manuals, which shouldn't be possible by
> just "C-h i" if there's no DIR file.  What am I missing?

I'm confused by that too.

> Does that mean every MSYS2 build of every package has this problem?
> Because otherwise at least some Info manual should appear in the DIR
> menu, right?

When Emacs is started from the MSYS2 shell, M-x info shows the entries
for Bash, grep etc. This is possible because MSYS2 sets INFOPATH when
the shell starts. However, when started from a desktop shortcut it shows
nothing. It should show the Emacs entries, since Info-directory-list
points to the correct place, but the lack of info directory node
prevents that.