Re: Requiring elisp that comes with Emacs

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Requiring elisp that comes with Emacs
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 12:50:58 -0600

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What happens when we do `require'?

It guarantees the relevant feature is available, generally as a side effect
of loading the named package. I believe the package much "provide" its
name. If not found, an error is raised. Full details can be found here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Named-Features.html

While under the covers I imagine the implementation is much different, I my
mental model is similar to Python's import statement or C++'s namespace
statement. All three make a series of names available to you, though
require is a global operation, not local to a particular module or
translation unit.

Skip Montanaro