Re: Requiring elisp that comes with Emacs

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Requiring elisp that comes with Emacs
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 08:50:39 -0600

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My question was more about whether we need to `require` packages that
> come with Emacs itself, e.g. org-mode.

It it's not pre-loaded and you want use it at run-time, I believe the
answer is, "yes." (It's been years and years since I did anything
non-trivial with ELisp, so I feel I have to qualify my statement.) Maybe I
misunderstood what you meant by "come with Emacs itself." I (require) a
fewpackages in my .emacs file: mouse, auto-complete-config, and lua-mode. I
didn't install any of them (someone else manages my local Emacs
installation), so they may not all be distributed with Emacs. I'm 99%
certain that at least mouse is distributed as part of Emacs. Still, I need
to (require) it to load it into the current Emacs instance so I can mess
around with the symbols and functions defined in mouse.el.

Skip