Re: Requiring elisp that comes with Emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Requiring elisp that comes with Emacs
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 21:03:45 +0100

Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
>
>> Type
>>
>> C-h f require [ENTER]
>>
>> A *Help* buffer will popup with the docstring for `require'. There it is
>> explained that the file for the require-d package is inferred from the
>> package name.
>>

> Thanks. When I said "this is all speculation", I meant how it works under
> the covers (how it compares semantically to Python's import statement or
> C++'s namespace statement), not how it locates a file to load. I realize
> that require uses the argument symbol name as the basename of the source
> file.

I don't know about Python, but Elisp `require' is totally unrelated to
C++'s namespace statement. Semantically, it is loosely related to the
#include preprocessor directive, although not quite the same.

IMHO it is wrong to learn a language thinking on supposedly similar
conceps on other languages. It just creates confusion.