RE: moving between buffers side-by-side using the keyboard

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: moving between buffers side-by-side using the keyboard
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:07:47 -0800 (PST)

> Unfortunately I don't have the time to bisect my config, I need the time
> for my book that I'm writing. Maybe I'll have the time at the weekend.

OK, but just let me harp on this one more time (because we've all
been there): It is very quick.

It _seems_ slow at first.  And yes, it's dumb.  But it's power is
exponential - it quickly gets very quick. ;-)  Think of the old
story of doubling the grains of rice on a chessboard.  Yes, at
first it seems like very little rice is involved...

The slowest part of this particular binary search is to restart
Emacs each time, after you've commented out part of your init
file.  But the more that is commented out, the closer the startup
becomes to a virgin startup (i.e., `emacs -Q': no init file).

> I accept that I used wrong terminology for my problem, but I felt that
> calling it a 'buffer' would show what I was thinking and asking about.

I didn't mean it as a pedantic remark or a criticism.  Emacs
terminology takes some getting used to.  But as you can see from
the replies, what you were really looking for was a way to switch
windows, even though that was not "what [you thought you] were
thinking about".

This stuff is not obvious, and there is no shame in using non
"official" terminology.  But learning a bit of the jargon can
really help you find what you're looking for more easily.