Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode

From: ken
Subject: Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 17:58:38 -0400

On 05/24/2017 03:27 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

Would it be possible to integrate that
functionality into html-helper-mode so that
chapters could be selectively collapsed or
expanded? For example, I might have: I use the
built-in `html-mode' for my primitive or
90s-looking pages and as for editing I never had
any problems or felt the need to do code fold, but
some people who do HTML insist web-mode.el is much
better and there code folding is available
probably exactly as you describe it:
http://web-mode.org
Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't want to have to
learn a new editor.
A new editor? Sweet heaven, no! Here is what it says
on the web site:

     web-mode.el is an autonomous emacs major-mode for
     editing web templates. HTML documents can embed
     parts (CSS/JavaScript) and blocks (client/server
     side).

Does "autonomous" mean it is implemented as
a standalone editor? What kind of "Emacs mode" is
that?!

In a technical world disregarding the humans using software, I think you would be correct. When I say it would be like a new editor, I mean that the keybindings for doing all the html coding in web-mode would likely be completely different from those in html-helper-mode... they definitely were in html-mode. Imagine how many different html markups there are... idk, perhaps hundreds... I don't want to have to learn all new keybindings for another, different mode. I've been using html-helper-mode for a long time, probably decades. I'm fluent with its keybindings. And I've created new functions within html-helper-mode and modified others which have yet other related keybindings. Those have become fluent also. That kind of fluency is part and parcel of the human factor, a view and an experience which purely technical considerations seem to be oblivious to. To me, confronting hundreds of new keybindings (for things I already know how to do with my current setup) is tantamount to learning a new editor. From your technical vantage point, however, I will readily admit you are correct.

Though it's off-topic, I would add that I use
html-helper-mode to edit quite sophisticated web
pages which aren't '90s-looking at all, but which
incorporate web 2.0 features and CSS
Well, you are allowed to use CSS...

and columns, graphics, and much more. Of course
I wouldn't write an entire CMS with
html-helper-mode, but then I wouldn't attempt it in
any emacs mode; it would be much more sensible to
use Joomla, Wordpress or Drupal...
...but not that :)

Not long ago I applied for a passport and it specifically allows me to use Wordpress and Drupal. :)