Re: Can Emacs help here (running on Linux, display on Windows)?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Can Emacs help here (running on Linux, display on Windows)?
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 15:51:23 -0400

> generally run with a bunch of PuTTY windows connected to Linux servers.

[ I assume you mean GNU/Linux servers, since Linux itself doesn't provide
  much in terms of usable server and the other common OS built on top of
  Linux (aka Android) is pretty flimsy when it comes to
  server functionality.  ]

> I'm now faced with a small problem. Click-to-focus is the rule, but stupid,
> stupid Windows also insists on passing the same click used to change focus
> to the application itself. Maybe VcXsrv has some setting I've not
> discovered (I can't even find the damn thing on the computer.)  Is there
> some way to make it stop?  Can Emacs come to the rescue and somehow ignore
> that initial, point-changing click?

In theory you could try playing with `focus-in-hook' and
`focus-out-hook' to keep track of whether we have focus and ignore
events received while we don't have focus (and/or the first event
received after getting focus if it's a click).

But this assumes your Emacs is running a GUI session, whereas you
mention PuTTY above, in which case Emacs has receives no information
whatsoever about GUI events such as focus change: you'd have to tweak
PuTTY to do that instead.

        Stefan