RE: Transposing words over middle words

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Transposing words over middle words
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 20:37:17 -0800 (PST)

> > There is `save-mark-and-excursion', if
> > that helps.
>
> Not here it isn't :)   GNU Emacs 24.4.1
> Where do you have it?

It was introduced in Emacs 25.  It is what used
to be called `save-excursion'. ;-)

Why they didn't instead leave `save-excursion' with
its longstanding behavior and create a new function
(e.g. `save-point' or whatever) to do what the
Emacs 25+ `save-excursion' does, I don't know.  That
would not have been backward incompatible.

The Emacs NEWS says only this:

 ** 'save-excursion' does not save&restore the mark any more.
 Use 'save-mark-and-excursion' if you want the old behavior.

Of course, if you want the old behavior in both
old and new releases, now you have to call one
or the other conditionally, testing
(fboundp `save-mark-and-excursion').