Re: info-find-source

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: info-find-source
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 14:08:19 -0700

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> >> Info, with all those tiny nodes hanging
> >> everywhere like ornaments from
> >> a paleo-Christmas tree on Terra Prima, can
> >> be painfully slow to navigate.
> >
> > On the contrary, I find Info extremely fast.
>
> Not so fast. Because searching a plain text
> file is faster still.
>
> Perhaps your perception of info as fast is
> a function of your own velocity?

I also find info to be very fast.  I am not using fast computers.
Mostly I use older Thinkpads that most people think ancient.  I am
typing this message on a laptop built in 2008 and it is my newest.

Unfortunately info searching being interactive I don't know of a way
to benchmark it.  I can only say that the time between invoking a
search and the display of the match is so fast that I find it
imperceptible.  It "feels" like 0.05 seconds or faster.  (I played
with "time sleep 0.05" and numbers in that range felt about the same
as searching for random things in the emacs info manual.)  At that
speed even if search in a raw text file was faster in absolute time I
just wouldn't care because it is well below my interactive threshold
of noticing any delay at all.

Bob