Re: Problem with simple script to clean out an ERC buffer

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Problem with simple script to clean out an ERC buffer
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 21:23:32 +0200

Robert Pluim wrote:

>> This reminds me that clear, as in clear(1) or
>> /usr/bin/clear , doesn't do anything in
>> Shell mode either (Shell mode as in shell.el).
>
> I don't think shell mode claims to implement
> a terminal.

At the moment, it would seem neither does ERC.

Nah, I think it is an ordinary bug. If you do
the Elisp suggested in this thread (inhibit
read-only, then `erase-buffer') you see that
not only does it work as one would expect, but
hit RET and you get the prompt back, so it
doesn't brake anything either.

That would indicate it would be a small effort
for the ERC people to implement this behavior
and associate it with the joint ERC/IRC command
that is already there.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573