Re: Newline and copy above line's indentation

From: HASM
Subject: Re: Newline and copy above line's indentation
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 14:07:32 -0700

me> If you relax a bit on the syntax-awareness,
me> you could use XEmacs' filladapt.

eb> C'mon now, the Emacs mode should offer
eb> indentation that makes sense. No one should
eb> have to use modules from any other piece of
eb> software to have proper indentation.

I started with GNU Emacs, switched to XEmacs, used it for a long time,
switched back to GNU a few years ago.

Filladapt.el is the only module that I had to go back for.  It does a
better job than GNU Emacs.

Even the emacswiki
  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FillAdapt
agrees, and I quote:

  Emacs has a builtin AdaptiveFillMode, but filladapt tends to do a better
  job. The token table makes filladapt largely mode-agnostic, so common
  commenting styles work without a specific adaptive-fill-regexp
  setup. And even better compounded forms like email cited text within a
  lisp comment fills as you’d hope.

-- HASM