Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1

From: Matt Mello
Subject: Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 13:17:20 -0700

I'm having an issue where the fringe line continuation indicators are not
showing in emacs 26.1 even when I have them set and visual line mode
enabled (for org and elisp modes).

When in an org mode buffer or scratch buffer [(List Interaction ElDoc
Wrap)], I cannot see the indicators.  However, if I open a buffer in plain,
old text-mode, it does show them, as do the help buffers.

Here is an image showing a wrapped line in the scratch buffer (no
indicators) and others in the Help buffers (with indicators):

You can see that the indicators in the fringe are in the help buffers
[(Fundamental) or (Help Wrap)], but not in the scratch buffer.

The version info is in the about buffer (GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1,
x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build
14F2511)) of 2018-05-30).

Note the line number in the scratch buffer (proof of visual line mode).

You can also see my settings in the help buffers (global-visual-line-mode
t, visual-line-fringe-indicators (left-curly-arrow right-curly-arrow))

This isn't just about org-mode (since the scratch buffer has this issue),
so I thought perhaps this should go to the emacs mailing list.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong here?

Does anyone else get the proper behavior?

Thanks!
-- Matt

PNG image