Re: mailcap MIME type handlers

From: Ben Bacarisse
Subject: Re: mailcap MIME type handlers
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 15:38:46 +0100

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> Ben Bacarisse [2018-09-23 03:52:03+01] wrote:
>
>> How can I get Emacs (specifically mailcap.el) to prioritise my
>> system's or my personal mailcap settings?
>>
>> Gnus, for example, opens PDF files in doc-view-mode rather than using
>> the program specified in /etc/mailcap or ~/.mailcap.
>
> Use variable mailcap-user-mime-data:
>
>     (setq mailcap-user-mime-data
>           '(((type . "application/pdf")
>              (viewer . "my-viewer %s"))))

Thanks, but that's a bit of a sledge hammer!  It looses all the other
settings, and duplicates where I specify the viewer.

I'd like mailcap.el to get the setting from ~/.mailcap.  My current
work-around is to

  (require 'mailcap)
  (setq mailcap-mime-data nil)
  (mailcap-parse-mailcaps nil t)

in .emacs, but that's also rather crude because it loses the default
settings from mailcap-user-mime-data, some of which may be useful (I
have not looked at them all).  Not to mention doing all the work twice.

--
Ben.