Re: Overriding inherited face attributes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Overriding inherited face attributes
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:14:52 +0200

> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:34:43 +0100
>
> > So this is only about what propertize does?  And only when some of the
> > later properties override earlier ones?
>
> Well, it's at least about what propertize does, since that was the OP's
> example (the first form above), which lead to my observation of the
> difference with the second form.

My reading of the code is that later face attributes override the
earlier once, i.e. the attributes are processed in order, and :inherit
doesn't have any precedence in this case.  Which seems like a sensible
thing, but I'm not sure we want to document this implementation
detail.  In general, having conflicting face attributes in the face
definition is not a good idea anyway; the only sensible use case is
when you want to change (i.e. override) some attribute of an existing
face, and for that, putting the overriding attribute at the end is the
natural thing to do.  IOW, Emacs seems to do what users should expect.