Re: Magit obsolete ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Magit obsolete ?
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 01:38:35 +0100

jonetsu wrote:

>> magit is an available obsolete package.
>
> Thanks for the replies. I found it odd that
> the melpa interface in emacs would mention
> 'obsolete'. Maybe i set up melpa wrong
> ? Hmmmm.

Here is what it says for me:

    magit is an available package.

    Magit is an interface to the version
    control system Git, implemented as an Emacs
    package. Magit aspires to be a complete Git
    porcelain. While we cannot (yet) claim,
    that Magit wraps and improves upon each and
    every Git command, it is complete enough to
    allow even experienced Git users to perform
    almost all of their daily version control
    tasks directly from within Emacs.
    While many fine Git clients exist, only
    Magit and Git itself deserve to be
    called porcelains.

> A question: several other packages were mention
> in the Magit description. Are these installed
> automatically when using the melpa interface
> in emacs ?

You mean the "Requires:" stuff? Yes, they are
installed when you install Magit (hit the
install button).

That is a big part of the whole idea with
a package manager and a software repository.
Every package says I rely on A, B, and C, then
A, B, and C say they rely on etc etc and
hopefully at some point there is no more
relying and the installation is complete and
everything put into place in good order.

In theory, it is very simple :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573