Re: [OFFTOPIC] Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:54:36 -0500

>>> If, indeed, Apple does privacy protection
>>> from the likes of AMI, Apple's justification
>>> for wanting to protect "their" devices
>>> is understandable.
>> I don't know what "AMI" stands for here
>> (searching online finds way too many possible
>> interpretations of this acronym).
> AMI = Accessible Media Inc,
>
>     a Canadian non-profit broadcaster and media platform, operating
>     digital television and audio channels primarily for blind and
>     partially sighted Canadians. [1]
>
> Here is an article on Apple from AMI, "AMI Insiders discuss Apple's
> iPhone 7":
>
>     The internet is polarized like a pair of high-end sunglasses over
>     Apple's decision to eliminate the conventional headphone jack from
>     the new iPhone 7. [2]

Hmm... so IIUC this reference to AMI was meant to talk about Apple's
choice to drop the old audio-jack from their devices?

That's not the kind of control I was talking about.  The problem I see
with Apple's control over their devices is that they control the devices
they sell even *after* selling them (e.g. by controlling which software
gets to run on it).

        Stefan