Re: Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019

From: Van L
Subject: Re: Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 12:58:27 +1100

>> System76, HP, ChromeOS suppliers satisfy the 1L constraint but they
>> don't look serious like, not even, the Apple TV puck.
>
> Indeed Apple is one of (if not *the*) most serious company in terms of
> not letting their customers own "their" devices.

If, indeed, Apple does privacy protection from the likes of AMI, Apple's
justification for wanting to protect "their" devices is understandable.

>>> A cubietruck definitely fits the 1L constraint and runs a recent Emacs
>>> just fine, and there are hordes of similar little beasts out there.
>> The cubieboard is like the Raspberry Pi, some have the Mathematica
>> package.  The look of them is like the fork in Toy Story 4.
>
> Not sure whether that means it's a good fit for your use case.
> [ And not only because I haven't watched TS4.  ]

It could be made to fit if it doesn't, but to see it everyday as an
unattractive object for 5 or 10 years would be very, very depressing
like wearing the nose on the earliest model Tesla roadster. (One was
thrown in space and the nose was framed out from the viewing angles.)

> If you need something silent (and hence fanless), it's not the worst
> choice and it's damn cheap.

Thanks for the insight.

>         Stefan "hoping System76 will have fanless desktops next time he
>                 needs to replace his own"

I'd like a 128-bit RISV 32-core cpu in an Apple TV puck Amazon ships.

--
© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835