Re: Is it ok to use (redisplay), or should this be left to the experts?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Is it ok to use (redisplay), or should this be left to the experts?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 00:27:09 +0100

Hi Stefan,

Sorry about the late reply...

On Thu, Jan 10 2019, Stefan Monnier wrote:
The problem is that although full screen is activated before calculating the text width, (window-total-width) still reports the window width that existed
before full screen was activated.

Adding a call to `redisplay` is fine to handle such cases.
This said, it may be insufficient (e.g. the window-manager may actually
execute the full-screen request asynchronously).

I think a better solution is to use window-size-change-functions in order to detect when the window-total-width changes and only change the
text width at that point.

The new text width only needs to be calculated once, so if I solve this with a function in `window-size-change-functions', the function would need to remove itself from that hook again. I guess it's feasible to call remove-hook inside the function, right?

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments