Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:08:38 +0100

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 18 2019, Robert Pluim wrote:
>>> error in process filter: Error retrieving:
>>> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)
>>
>> Do you get this error straight away, or after a timeout?
>
> It takes a bit of time. Sometimes it doesn't appear at all. I normally
> use paradox, which just sits there trying to refresh the package
> list. If I disable paradox, I get this error, though not straight
> away.

That does sound like some kind of networking issue, although
elpa.gnu.org was down for a while.

>> Any chance of you running tcpdump or wireshark to capture what
>> traffic
>> Emacs is sending?
>
> tcpdump is installed on my machine, but the man page doesn't tell me
> what command I'd have to enter to get the results you're interested
> in, so you'd have to help me out a bit.

tcpdump -i any 'host 209.51.188.89 or host 2001:470:142:5::89'

(perhaps with a 'sudo' in front of it, depending on your system)

Iʼm guessing this will show emacs connecting to the IPv6 address,
failing, and then falling back to the IPv4.

Iʼm seeing this now as well, and there does seem to be a bug in emacs,
which Iʼll take to emacs-devel.

>> Could you let us know which version of Emacs this is? Also that
>> network trace would be *really* useful.
>
> "GNU Emacs 26.1.91 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 3.22.30)\n of 2019-02-04"

Thanks