Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 16:34:21 -0700

On 5/2/19, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
> ...well, Org-mode agenda takes almost 30 seconds to generate for me...

[replying in general]

org agenda is the slowest part of emacs for me.

it would be *great* if devs could speed it up with c.  i am curious
what would they do?  take a look at the profiles.  maybe speed up
regexps?

a complete rewrite in lisp might or might not speed it up.  it might
or might not allow devs to speed it up with c.  i think a complete
rewrite has been proposed, but dunno if it's going to be done or will
keep compatibility or be known to be likely faster.

i /think/ a rewrite /has already/ been done, with a nice lisp syntax
to replace the existing non-lisp tags search syntax.  but last i heard
it leaves out a small number of features and it isn't faster yet.
iirc part of the reason given for that was that the existing one was
optimized to death.  however, idk if it is a complete rewrite or if
speed was a desideratum.  perhaps it or parts of it could be rewritten
or sped up in c.  dunno.

as for cl, it's so similar to el that it is a natural comparison.
which makes me wonder why a participant in this thread said it was for
wizards?  elisp has buffers, syntax tables, and font locking.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

What is misopathy?
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.