Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Sat, 04 May 2019 09:19:38 +0300

> From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 16:34:21 -0700
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> org agenda is the slowest part of emacs for me.
>
> it would be *great* if devs could speed it up with c.  i am curious
> what would they do?  take a look at the profiles.  maybe speed up
> regexps?

A profile of a long run with all its tree branches expanded would be
nice, preferably with the relevant Org Lisp files loaded as *.el, to
increase the accuracy of the profile.  Bonus points for providing Org
file(s) needed to reproduce such a long run, which could serve as
basis for trying various speed-up approaches.

If someone wants to do that, please use the bug-reporting features in
Emacs (so that the relevant system configuration aspects are captured,
and the data is recorded by the issue tracker), and please CC the
relevant Org addresses (mailing list, issue tracker, etc.).