Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 16:01:50 +0200

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 08:08:58AM +0200, Ergus wrote:
>> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 01:05:12PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> >Please. Text editing is the most common task by at least an order of
>> >magnitude in the IT world. Even for kids.
>> >
>> Also agree 100%.
>
> I disagree, at least by 87%

[snip]

Well said.

If somebody reads this thread knowing nothing about text editors, he
will likely think that Emacs is a mess of arbitrary hacks and the other
editors are models of consistency and elegance. Well, truth is that
those editors are half-assed hodgepodges of accumulated afterthoughts.

They allow you to do basic things in an ineffective way, but as they are
menu- and dialog-based many people are happy because those basic
features are easily discoverable and usable without training. Then, when
you need to do a search&replace that goes beyond the dumb thing that the
dialog offers, well, bad luck. (In my experience, the possibility that
better things could exist don't cross the mind of many users.)

Oh, about saying that Vim is consistent (while implying that Emacs is
not)... that's a good joke :-)