Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 23:08:21 +0200

Ergus wrote:

> I agree 50% here. One thing is to use
> specific emacs functionalities tricks, but
> another one is when you don't know how to
> start, because the workflow is orthogonal to
> 90% of everything else, or you look for the
> word copy and paste in the tutorial you only
> find kill and yank.

Yes, we have some terminology of our own.
That's nothing to be ashamed of. Perhaps one
can explain it somewhere if this hasn't
happened already, like a "Feel confused by
Emacs terminology? Here is a crib for YOU" type
of document or part of the manual.

But obey tradition is all one can do. It is
what one wants to do. Try to change it - trust
me, it never works, anywhere.

> The first impression is actually the most
> important. And if a user don't see any
> advantage the first 10 minutes, we lost him.

You have again so low esteem of the user.
Why didn't WE quit after 10 minutes? Are we so
much better than everyone else?

> This is exactly the key of all my point.
> We can't continue patching and putting works
> around to this issue and we can't compete and
> win in all the fields we cover, so at least
> we must be centered in one of them, the most
> important one.

We want it ALL. That's the whole idea with
Emacs. We want programming, but also HTML/CSS,
LaTeX and Biblatex, the shell, the file system,
Emacs-w3m, man pages (a pager _and_ a mode to
edit groff), Gnus, ERC, Makefile, and
everything else people are using Emacs for
*every day*.

Emacs hackers all around the world are working
on all of this, and much, much more, every day.
You will never, ever be able to get them to
focus on "the most important" field, whatever
that is.

The diversity (plethora of activities) is the
_strength_, not the/a problem.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573