Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 10:28:00 +0900

> On May 17, 2019, at 5:50, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
>
>> so we need to offer some advantage on the first
>> try over the others to keep the users.
>
> Emacs provides some advantages, but they are not apparent until you
> experience them. That's a problem for people grown on a culture of
> instant gratification. Emacs appeals to certain type of users who
> understand that gains require efforts.

I find that comment extremely condescending.

If "instant gratification" means finding a common ground on which one can get
started right away, then I'm all for it.

Considering the state of affairs, emacs seems first to appeal to people who
want to give priority to free software, at the *cost* of ease of use.

Access to free software should never be the sole privilege of "users who
understand that gains require efforts". Quite the opposite.

> The really big problem is that Emacs no longer compete on areas were it used
> to bring the largest gains. Other editors largely surpassed Emacs' gains
> while requiring less effort.

Eli earlier clearly identified a number of areas where emacs required huge and
totally undue efforts to get the thing to work as expected in the 21st century.

Jean-Christophe Helary